Monday, March 10, 2008

Henley Riverboat

Click Image to see larger version in my gallery


14 x 10 in  -  36 x 25 cm     Watercolor    

This one has not been as successful as the last few. It is very interesting to ask why? A number of possible reasons jump up. Firstly; this is another "no blue" painting. As is the dog I painted a couple of days ago. But I don't think that is the problem or even any problem at all.

Secondly; Taking on a basically, white boat against a white sky and a white band of the river.

Thirdly; And I think this is where is most sags, is that there in no unity of style. Saturday's dog holds together well because of the dry brush technique. Whereas this painting is not held together. A master would have painted (if they were trying to do what I was trying to do) the riverboat with more flowing strokes or used dry brush throughout.

What would have made doing that much easier would have been to paint it as a half sheet and not the quarter sheet that I picked. Going big makes it easier to paint, with a flow.

I took the ref yesterday afternoon at Henley. You might notice that it is quick composite photo. Clearly I should have thought more about the composition as I snapped away.

No comments:

Post a Comment