Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Seagull

Click Image to see larger version in my gallery

10 x 14 in  -  25 x 36 cm     Watercolor     This is another piece of work for the two hour painting challenge at PaintingFriends.com

This is almost a two colour picture these being perylene maroon and prussian blue. Yes there is a small amount of cad yellow on the beak and cad red make the orange spot.

Many thanks to Desiree for the use of this reference here.

I took about one hour 20 minutes to do this and that's 15 minutes for the drawing and about 45 minutes for the painting the background being done in about 15 minutes rest of the time was for a couple of drying pauses.

That secret, if there is one, to painting rapidly is to simplify everything. Two main colours is about the simple as you can get. I used large brushes number 10's and 12's so I could not get too fiddly. Most of the painting has been with one touch. Only on the seagulls body have I gone over it couple of times and added additional layers, in this case dark layers.

4 comments:

  1. Roger, I love your work, thanks for sharing it! Your paintings draw me in. This one has great brush strokes, saying so much with minimal painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like this one!

    ReplyDelete