Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thumbs Up - Cuban Style

Click Image to see larger version in my gallery

10 x 14 in  -  25 x 36 cm     Watery Acrylics    
This is painted with acrylic paints. I don't have any liquid acrylics so I watered down some normal thick acrylic paint. I found that none of the colours I had treated in this way would make a good darks. So I was forced to try to add some of my darker colours like black.

Not surprisingly this has contributed to the rather murky and to the rather murky darks. This is the classic reason why beginner watercolourists are urged not to use black. It's not that black is a bad colour is just that, when used in mixes, it is seldom successful.

The reference was taken in November 2006. One of the things you notice when you visit Cuba is that it is a black country ruled by whites.

Of course the official statistics say blacks are in the minority but how many statistics from the Cuban Ministry of information would it be sensible to believe.

Adendum
There is a close up of the thumb, which is the part I am most pleased with.

After all that is the subject of the picture.

1 comment:

  1. This is amoungst my favorites!!! I just love that little car (would really like to have one myself)

    What i mostly like about this painting is the lazy, hazy look of a hot summer day ...

    You've got some really good stuff on your blog, Roger!!!

    ReplyDelete